SMART Recovery is the leading self-empowering addiction recovery support group. Patients learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research and participate in a world-wide community which includes free, self-empowering, secular and science-based, mutual-help support groups.
SMART Recovery® helps people recover from all types of addiction and addictive behaviours, including: alcoholism, drug abuse, drug addiction, substance abuse, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery® currently sponsors more than 600+ face-to-face meetings around the world, and 18+ online meetings per week. In addition, our online message board is an excellent forum to learn about SMART Recovery® and obtain addiction recovery support.
SMART Recovery® teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
1. SMART Recovery® does not use the disease model.
2. Teaches practical tools and techniques for self-directed change.
3, Encourages individuals to recover and live healthy satisfying lives.
4. Meetings include open and interactive discussions and can be educational.
5. Works on addictions/compulsions/dependence as complex maladaptive behaviours.
6. Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments, such as anti-depressants, Methadone, Buprenorphine.
SMART 4-Point Program
SMART Recovery® is based on the principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) The group helps people to understand, manage and change their irrational thoughts and actions.
The SMART Recovery® program comprisesof 4 key points.
1. Building and Maintaining Motivation
2. Coping with Urges
3. Problem Solving
4. Lifestyle Balance
The Hills Clinic offers a range of therapy programs to assist people dealing with addiction in their lives. Inpatient, day patient and one on one therapy is available. Weekly Smart Recovery meetings are available at Castle Grand on Thursday evenings from 6:30pm. David is the facilitator of this group and will welcome new-comers to the group.